By Heather Deegan
In the publish 9-11 worldwide setting Africa is status at a crossroads in overseas affairs because the mixed problems with politics, faith and safety allure renewed curiosity. whereas a few international locations appear to be relocating ahead with better degrees of self assurance, democracy and balance, others remain mired in clash, poverty and religious/ethnic department.
This textual content specializes in key modern matters that the continent faces, delivering a entire advent of present political, non secular, developmental and safeguard issues.
- Individual chapters dedicated to key matters together with health and wellbeing, gender, corruption, faith and the newly rising difficulties of human defense.
- Case studies and certain research of topical matters, including:
- Muslim/Christian clashes: Kano, Northern Nigeria
- Conflict, hands and Reconstruction: Darfur and Sierra Leone
- Comprehensive variety of nations discussed together with: Zimbabwe, Botswana, Kenya Ethiopia, Uganda, Lesotho, Somalia, Namibia and Madagascar.
- Fully up to date statistics together with basic study according to interviews carried out by way of the writer, delivering facts for either person international locations and the continent as a whole.
- Boxed descriptions explaining truly the guidelines in very important topic components, akin to Islamic legislation and society
By drawing at the author’s empirical learn and situating dialogue in the context of wider debate, Africa this present day is designed either to introduce and to strengthen a deeper figuring out of this quickly altering continent an important textual content for all scholars of African politics and foreign Relations.
Read Online or Download Africa Today: Culture, Economics, Religion, Security PDF
Similar globalisation books
Governments intervening in post-conflict states locate themselves beset with quite a few demanding situations and profound dilemmas: it is usually doubtful how most sensible to continue simply because measures which can increase stipulations in a single appreciate could undermine them in one other. This quantity experiences and integrates the scholarly social-science literature correct to stabilization and reconstruction, with the target of informing strategic making plans on the whole-of-government point.
A world amassing of major students, policymakers, and educators takes on one of the most tough and debatable problems with our time during this groundbreaking exploration of ways globalization is affecting schooling world wide. The participants, drawing from cutting edge examine in either the social sciences and the neurosciences, research the demanding situations and possibilities now dealing with colleges because of significant migration flows, new fiscal realities, new applied sciences, and the transforming into cultural range of the world's significant towns.
In fresh a long time, claims have more and more been made on transnational organizations to take accountability for the merchandising and safeguard of human and labour rights in nations the place they function. This behavioural legal responsibility effects from the power advocacy of non-governmental corporations and is often referred to as company social accountability (CSR).
This dissertation argues that Amazonian indigenous peoples prepared through transnational networks as a result of the household blockages provided to them of their respective countires. because of those blockages and the growing to be variety of transnational political chance buildings, equivalent to nationwide and foreign non-govermental enterprises, multi-lateral improvement banks, and multinational company, indigenous peoples mobilized via transnational advocacy networks and at last shaped transnational social circulate corporations.
- Civil Society and the State in Singapore
- The Globalization Reader
- The Enemy of Nature: The End of Capitalism or the End of the World?
- Biennials, Triennials, and Documenta: The Exhibitions that Created Contemporary Art
- Social Justice and the University: Globalization, Human Rights and the Future of Democracy
- Border Patrol Nation: Dispatches from the Front Lines of Homeland Security (City Lights Open Media)
Extra info for Africa Today: Culture, Economics, Religion, Security