By Francesca Castaldi
Read or Download Choreographies of African Identities: Négritude, Dance, and the National Ballet of Senegal PDF
Best dance books
Initially released in 1983 the 1st version swiftly confirmed itself as a middle pupil textual content. Now absolutely revised and up-dated it continues to be the single e-book to deal with the reason, technique, thoughts and methodologies particular to the learn of dance heritage. For the most physique of the textual content which covers ancient reviews of dance in its conventional and function contexts, the editors have introduced jointly a crew of the world over identified dance historians.
Simply as absolutely as Haiti is "possessed" via the gods and spirits of vaudun (voodoo), the island "possessed" Katherine Dunham while she first went there in 1936 to check dance and formality. during this booklet, Dunham finds how her anthropological learn, her paintings in dance, and her fascination for the folks and cults of Haiti labored their spell, catapulting her into reviews that she used to be frequently fortunate to outlive.
Whereas remapping the sector through reading enduring ancient and cultural connections, this examine discusses a number of traditions and practices of theatre and function in 5 South Asian international locations inside their particular political and socio-cultural contexts.
While Igor Stravinsky's ballet Le Sacre du printemps (The ceremony of Spring) premiered through the 1913 Paris season of Sergei Diaghilev's Ballets Russes, its avant-garde tune and jarring choreography scandalized audiences. at the present time it really is one among the main influential musical works of the 20th century.
- Feis Success 101: The Expert Guide to Hosting a Feis Without Losing Your Mind
- Adult Ballet: From Beginners to Intermediate
- The Day the Dancers Stayed: Performing in the Filipino/American Diaspora
- The People Have Never Stopped Dancing: Native American Modern Dance Histories
- In Search of Legitimacy: How Outsiders Become Part of the Afro-Brazilian Capoeira Tradition (Dance and Performance Studies)
- Dancing Revelations: Alvin Ailey's Embodiment of African American Culture
Additional resources for Choreographies of African Identities: Négritude, Dance, and the National Ballet of Senegal